Friday, February 4, 2011

VOLUME One Review by Eric

Andrew Miller - Self-Titled

Andrew, I'm really loving this stuff. It's very impressive! Sounds like it could easily be in any major motion picture, really. Except Danny Elfman pictures. Not nearly enough ostinato. :-) Sorry this commentary probably wasn't at all helpful!

Five Minute Fanclub - Big Shoulders

I'm having trouble understanding this kind of music is making it into Record Time. I remember when this thing got started we were recording things with our built-in microphones, hoping to get some 'semblance of a few songs out. Now we've got these tracks that could totally be on my iPod to listen to on a daily basis. I love the feel of this album. It's got a great laid-back vibe, which is great for my anxiety! haha. I really like the singer's voice and the rapper definitely has his own flow. Grand.

LUXI - Sacred Geometry EP

Again, production quality this time around is through the roof. Though this album is inundated with pitch correction, I still enjoy the beats. They're deep and complex. I love the hard hitting bass. I also love the middle-eastern influence that seems to have made it into this entire album. Great harmonies. Oh and I'm also a sucker for a fat synth (track 4). Another incredible week-long endeavor.

Osmin - Flow

Opening with a guitar choir was the right thing to do, first off. I don't know why, but the real question is, why the fuck not? This album covers quite a few bases from there as well! Great latin guitar tracks, great 90s acoustic feel tracks. The 18 minute track reminded me a lot of Sounds of Animals Fighting for some reason. Good show, sir.

Reality Calls - Reality Check

The first thing I thought of on Endless Night was Nirvana. It took me back to hot summer days in my youth, listening to Bleach on my brother's boombox. The Nirvana didn't last long, but this is not a bad thing. The 90s feel, however, did. I'm digging it in a big way. 90s + Owl City. Was the pitch correction intended to be part of the sound? If so, it worked. If not, maybe ease off the gas a little next time. All in all, we should all be proud of anything like this done in a week! Keep on reppin'!

Rob Fisher - Years to Remember

So I heard through the grapevine that you were in Dan's music lab dealie. I enjoyed your track. Your voice, especially! It's got a unique sound. Thanks for contributing all the way from the UK!

Strange Battery - Tinkle

Dan. I laughed most of the way through this album. Ready to Dance is among my favorite tracks. It reminded me of that day you and Mike and I wrote a hardcore song in the basement of 913 Linden Street. Then the Squirrel Nut Zippers. But it was Dan throughout. I applaud your tuning bravery. I think we discussed briefly how it was time for a shift in Dan. And jokes aside, I actually found some profound meaning in this album. If I ever get married and my wife and I decide to put a bun in the oven, this is what I'm giving him for his first birthday! And of course, thanks so much for putting this together for the 6th time! It means a lot to everyone, I'm sure, myself included.


No comments:

Post a Comment