Tuesday, February 1, 2011

RT Wrap Up

I didn't post during the process, but I'd like to throw in my thoughts post-show style.

I did all of my writing and recording between 9pm and 2am and then woke up at 8am for another super long day of driving and working. Luckily I had most of the weekend free to wrap it all up. Somehow this was the most relaxed RT I've done. This is my fourth RT but it's my first post-college. I think the lack of homework and the ability to do work every day, no matter how little, took a lot of the pressure off. Though a relaxed Rt experience still means writing all of the lyrics two seconds before hitting record at 7pm Sunday evening.

Anyway, for this record I chose not to continue my string of apocalyptic, distortion-saturated albums that I did for RT IV and V. Instead I sort of reverted to my first RT mindset of creating a wide variety of songs in styles that are currently on my mind. I wanted to focus very heavily on constructing solid songs that follow the rigid pop-rock template. This lasted for one half of one song before I was bored so I started my musical wandering without going too far. The tracks are all still very much songs and none of the song structures are of particular interest, but they're not quite as tight as most contemporary pop-rock.

I ended up with only about 17 minutes of music, but it's spread out over 6 tracks all in very different styles. Length is a real non-issue for me when it comes to composing. If anything, I would rather leave more to be desired than outstay my welcome. That's not to say long is bad by any means, but with me it probably would be.

I was inspired, happy, frustrated, disappointed, unmotivated, and then properly pleased by the end of it all. I'm really happy with how my album turned out, both in content and quality. I've been building my guitar setup specifically for recording since moving out to LA and this record helped reinforce my choices. I love the guitar tones I got on this record and I learned a couple more mixing and mastering tricks while doing this record.

A success all in all. Record Time gets better and better with each iteration, so I can't wait to hear what everyone came up with this year.

I went ahead and included some pictures of the gear I used for this RT.



Here is my ridiculous vocal isolation...desk mic



Guitars, cab, and new 6w tube amp. I used a Sennheiser 906 to track all of my guitars.



The whole shebang. The cat was on the printer almost the whole time. When I locked him out he cried and my room mic picked it up, so he got his way.

- Logan

No comments:

Post a Comment